Jbr Investment Company - Review about Colburn Apartments Rental from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Nancy Riede and John Riede swindled me out of my deposit. Here is how they did it.
Nancy Riede and John Riede run a company called JBR Investments, which owns and operates the Colburn Hotel and the Colburn Apartments located at 980 Grant St. and 960 Grant St. in Denver’s Cap Hill neighborhood. I lived in their apartments for over 1.5 years, and paid my rent on time every month. When I moved out, I refurbish the apartment and left it in better condition than when I had moved in. According to my lease I had to give a 10 day notice before moving out. The way this place works is they have a staffed office, Monday through Friday, on the second floor of the Colburn Hotel, right above Charlie Brown’s restaurant and next door to the apartments. On the first floor is the front desk with a 24/7 attendant. In order to move out, the tenants must give written notice to the front desk 10 days in advance.
So this is where their little scam begins. I went down to their office and gave the attendant written notice that I was moving out. I then asked what the procedure was for getting my deposit back. The front desk employee then had me pick up a telephone off of the wall, and walks back to some sort of technology from the 1950’s and connects me to the office staff on the second floor. One of the family member’s of Nancy Riede explained to me that only Nancy Riede can discuss my deposit and the procedures for moving out, and that all I could do is leave a voicemail. So I left a voicemail. I explained to them that I was moving out of state and needed to speak with them before I left. After 1 day I went back down to the office and asked to speak with someone about my deposit again. I was again told that only Nancy Riede can discuss that with me and I would have to call up to the office. I got the voicemail again, and I left another message. So a third day goes by and I go to the front desk again, where I am instructed to pick up a telephone and leave a voicemail for Nancy Riede. At this point I begin to become suspicious that they are blatantly ignoring my calls, considering that it is a fully staffed office on the second floor, who manage two 10 story buildings in downtown Denver. 9 days go by, and I never hear from them nor am I able to get ahold of anybody that can discuss anything with me. I go the desk and return my keys. I ask again to speak with someone from the office and I am directed to pick up a telephone and leave a voicemail for Nancy. At this point, my keys have been returned and my car is packed, ready for me to drive out of state. Throughout the 9 days I never once heard from them after multiple voicemails, and Nancy Riede never allowed me the opportunity to discuss paying 1 day of prorated rent in order to receive my deposit back. Apparently Nancy is the only one who can discuss these matters, and man was she hard to get ahold of. In fact, I have yet to speak with her to this day about my deposit or how I would go about paying for 1 day of prorated rent to cover the 10 day requirement in my lease.
For the next week, I called that apartment and left a voicemail every day asking to speak with someone about my deposit. After approximately 20 attempts to get ahold of them, I finally heard back from a man named John Riede. He explained that I would not be receiving my deposit back because I needed to give a 10 day notice before moving out, and I only gave 9. That was their excuse. I was absolutely dumbfounded. This family took advantage of the fact that I was moving out of state, stonewalled all attempts for me to discuss my deposit and prorated rent with them, then they had the nerve to tell me if I wanted my deposit back I would have to sue them. I have had a lot of landlords shiest me out of my deposits in all sorts of ways, but this one was by far the creepiest. These guys are the textbook definition of slumlords. Stay far far away, they are nothing but the pests of our society.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Problems with payment
- Product or service
- Colburn Apartments Rental
- Review category
- Hotels and Resorts
You May Also Like
- "In November 2013 I stayed at the MANHATTAN CLUB, One bedroom-two bath unit 1516. This unit possessed all of the 'boutique' features: broken closets handle and kitchen light, a sofa..."
- "1st room was invested with termites 2nd one was fithy. Only prostitutes and drug dealers would be comfortable here. Pictures and videos. I filed a complaint #3246930 & still have..."
- "My wife and I booked a room through hotels.com at a Sterling Resorts Splash in Florida — 17698 Front Beach Rd, Panama City Beach, FL 32413. When we arrived..."
- "Rich Dad Education got me registered after some slick sales talk in a downtown Philadelphia hotel, for a 3-day 'Financial Freedom Seminar' which I could not attend due to extenuating..."
- "i bought leather sofa set($2099.98) with extended warranty (249.99) on 1/9/2011one of the dual seat back rest there are some air bubbles coming are out on leather skin, i went..."
- "Recently, I read an article on a new Philly rapper creating a loyal following in his neighborhood (congrats!) on a upcoming artist website. It was very briefâ€”literally seven sentencesâ€”but the..."
- "See Carnival Cruise Experience To whom it may concern: My husband and I went on the Carnival Splendor on September 24, 2016. This was not my first cruise with Carnival, nor..."
- "I CAN NOT MAKE THESE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT I RECEIVED WAS NOT WHAT I ORDERED. THEY JUST KEEP TELLING ME THAT ACCORDING TO THE RECEIPT THAT MY ORDER WAS..."
- "why is it that when i upgrade defences a few days later i have to upgrade again on same defence once i have maxed it for its town hall level..."